How to Build Your Own Solar Hot Water Heater
It is sad to note that despite the importance of our water heaters, it is not energy efficient and it is uses significant amount of energy than the rest of your household and electrical gadgets and devices combined? What measures would you take to tremendously reduce your electricity consumption? Should you be one of these men and women, then the best method to conserve energy in using water heaters is to construct your own solar hot water heater. How is this possible? To know more about it, then you are advised to continue reading this article.
The Perks of Using Solar Energy in Powering Your Water Heater
Solar energy is used to power water heaters because it is not only cost effective but it is also proven to the one of the cleanest source of renewable energy at present. For the reason that solar energy is considered one of the cleanest sources of renewable energy and it does not produce carbon dioxide, you can protect Mother Nature in your own little way.
Studies reveal that solar hot water heater has the ability of cutting your heating costs by about 50%. So, should you be searching for effectual method to reduce your monthly electricity bill, then you can consider constructing your own solar water heater. No doubt, the construction of solar-powered water heater is the most efficient method to lower your monthly electricity consumption and bill. You can definitely save money by sustainable means. Showcased below is a simple guide on how to construct your own solar-powered water heater.
Ways on How the Solar Hot Water Heater Works
Same with the traditional water heater, the solar-powered water heater has a water tank and heating coil. The water is pre-heated by trapping the rays of the sun inside the water tank and the heating coil. Once the water is heated, it then passively flows to your water pipes and to where the water is needed like the kitchen or the bathroom.
How to Construct Solar Hot Water Heater?
1. First, it is vital that you build a box. This can be done with the use of 2x4s of strong particle board or plywood for the exterior and frame of the box. Make sure that you construct a box that is large enough to contain the full-size water heater. You are advised to construct a box measuring approximately seven feet long, four feet wide and five feet tall. It should also be built on 30-degree angle so as to collect adequate amount of sunlight.
2. Be sure to insulate the interior portion of the water heater using sturdy insulation material.
3. It is also needed that you install reflective material above the insulation material with the use of roofing galvanize tin. Shape it like a huge metal cradle and secure it using staples or nails. The reflective curved tin will be the one to catch the rays of the sun and pass it to the water heater.
4. Make sure that you place the water heater inside the big box and don’t forget to cut holes to serve as its blow-out emergency nozzle.
5. Be sure to cover the box using outdoor-grade glass. Secure the sides by painting it with wood sealant.
6. Lastly, connect your solar water heater to your home water heater.