This photo will have to do until I find a better one.
History of Beaumont
History of Beaumont, California
From: History of Riverside County, California
with Biographical Sketches.
History By: Elmer Wallace Holmes
Historic Record Company.
Los Angeles, Califirnia 1912
The Ancestry Store
THE TOWN OF BEAUMONT
The town of Beaumont is located at the summit of the San Gorgonio Pass at a point where the valley widens considerably so that the distance is five to six miles between the foothills of the San Bernardino range on the north and the San Jacinto mountains to the south. The elevation of the town is estimated at 2,600 feet, Beaumont being the highest point on the Southern Pacific line between Los Angeles and Yuma. A most magnificent view of the mountains is afforded the residents of the place.
It has been seen that the very earliest known settlements of Spanish and later of whites in the pass were located in the northern part of what is now Beaumont, although there was no town at all at that place until about 1884, and then it was known as San Gorgonio. Its present name was received about 1887, when a company of capitalists purchased the lands in the townsite. Notwithstanding the fact that there was no town, a railroad depot and telegraph office were established there in 1875, and for many years this marked the summit of the pass.
In June of 1884 George C. Egan built his first store at San Gorgonio, near what is now the center of the town, on California avenue. Previous to that date Egan, who then had a store at Banning, had bought land from the railroad company and he sold his Banning property in order to make the last payment on this land, which comprised the odd sections in and about the present town of Beaumont. Egan also procured the other lands there, so that he owned practically the whole townsite. As soon as he had made his last payment and owned the property clear, he borrowed money on it and built the store, thus starting the town.
In 1884 also a man named Parrish built a tiny place south of the railroad track near the present location of the roundhouse, and kept a little store there. Egan had a postoffice in his store and was the first postmaster, although a man called "Old Man" Lamb handled the mail that was thrown off the trains for the residents for a short time, unofficially. Both stores, in common with many of the frontier stores of those days, kept liquor, though at that date there was no regular saloon in the town. The railroad station, a small red building, which housed the telegraph office as well, a turn table and water tank, which was then supplied from a well sunk by the railroad company, and a very few other buildings made up the town. The Summit house, the first hotel in Beaumont, which in a remodeled and enlarged … Read More