Block Court Arcade Moderne, Harry Norris design 1930, in 1985

General Article

Block Court Arcade Moderne, Harry Norris design 1930, in 1985

Melbourne Central Activities District (CAD) Conservation Study 1985 survey images: approx 1200 Kodak colour negatives:
Melbourne Central Activities District (CAD) Conservation Study 1985 on the main building and this arcade:

`Built as the Athenaeum Club Building (plus ground level shops), it was built in the name of club secretary James H Moorhead, to the design of William Salway and on land leased from W J Lobb. The contractor was J Gillespie of Fitzroy. Occupiers listed in the 1890s directories are limited to the Club (288) and appropriate shop holders, such as tobacconists of hairdressers, filling the 292 Collins Street address. Among them were George Roberts and Montague Levy and, in the late 1890s, the chemist, George Swift, moved from Swanston Street to provide a second retailer at the club entrance. Swift was there into the 1920s, accompanied by Blight & Shannon’s tea rooms, which superseded the various hairdressing businesses at 290. After near 40 years of peaceful club life, John Lobb’s estate sold the building to the Hotham Estate Pty Ltd (1929), commencing a new, comparatively brash existence as leased offices over a ground floor zig-zag Moderne styled arcade. The club sought new premises further east in Collins Street and in its place Block Court housed mainly women’s clothing makers and retailers. Ye Old Dutch Tea & Coffee House was in the basement and the two main shops at the Collins Street arcade entry were Treasure Chest, lingerie, and the Block Bag Shoppe. In the arcade itself were the Nic Nac gift shop, Daddy Long Legs lingerie, Claire the Milliner (with workrooms upstairs), plus the generally French named dressmaking and lingerie firms who populated the four upper floors.
Harry A Norris designed the arcade renovation in 1930 as an annexe to the Block Arcade. Although not the only arcade to be either cut through an old building or built new in the 1930s (see Manchester Unity arcade), this arcade possesses the most integrity to its period and feeds from the distinct character of the adjacent block.’…

`The ground level has been totally refinished in 1930, and takes on this era, except for subsequent alterations. The arcade is finished with brass shopfront joinery, set over terrazzo plinths with ornate jazz moderne fibrous plasterwork in the ceiling. The floor is finished with a terrazzo with geometric border, again in the jazz moderne manner. Off the main Arcade is a minor lift lobby, with original lift door and architrave, with the sign `LIFT’painted in gold outline on a marble board over the head. Above that again is a Tenants’ Directory, again painted on white marble, with a number of faded names attached, as divided into First, Second and Third Floor columns. Adjacent to that is a Buchan marble dado and white marble stair, leading up to the office floors. A faded sign here reads, `LOITERERS AND HAWKERS NOT ALLOWED.’

The Arcade is an impressive example of 1930 French inspired ornamentation, with all aspects generally intact. This extends to a pair of brass framed … Read More

IMG_4699-02_Pan

General Article

IMG_4699-02_Pan

Blenheim Palace is a monumental region house located in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England. It is the principal residence of the dukes of Marlborough, and the only non-royal non-episcopal region house in England to keep the title of palace. The palace, one of England’s most significant houses, was constructed among 1705 and circa 1722. Blenheim Palace was selected a UNESCO Entire world Heritage Web-site in 1987.

The setting up of the palace was originally meant to be a reward to John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, from a grateful nation for the duke’s army triumphs in opposition to the French and Bavarians during the War of the Spanish Succession, culminating in the 1704 Struggle of Blenheim. However, before long following its design started, the palace was to develop into the matter of political infighting this led to Marlborough’s exile, the slide from electrical power of his duchess, and lasting damage to the name of the architect Sir John Vanbrugh.

Made in the exceptional, and quick-lived, English Baroque design, architectural appreciation of the palace is as divided right now as it was in the 1720s. It is exclusive in its mixed utilization as a household home, mausoleum and nationwide monument. The palace is also noteworthy as the birthplace and ancestral home of Sir Winston Churchill.

Subsequent the palace’s completion, it became the home of the Churchill, later Spencer-Churchill, household for the up coming three hundred yrs, and many members of the household have in that interval wrought modifications, in the interiors, park and gardens. At the close of the 19th century, the palace was saved from ruin by money gained from the ninth Duke of Marlborough’s relationship to American railroad heiress Consuelo Vanderbilt. The exterior of the palace continues to be in superior mend.

Posted by Kev Gregory (General) on 2016-05-31 18:36:18

Tagged: , Blenheim , Palace , monumental , region , house , located , Woodstock , Oxfordshire , England , residence , Marlborough , episcopal , 1705 , 1722 , UNESCO , Entire world , Heritage , Web-site , 1987 , setting up , John , Churchill , 1st , Duke , grateful , nation , army , triumph , French , Bavarian , during , War , Spanish , Succession , Struggle , design , political , exile , architect , Sir , Vanbrugh , Baroque , household , home , mausoleum , nationwide , monument , birthplace , ancestral , Winston , Spencer-Churchill , American , railroad , heiress , Consuelo , Vanderbilt , Kev , Gregory , Stately … Read More