Copper is in a lot of places you might have never suspected. It is one of the most valuable scrap metals on the market. This can be a very lucrative business for the right person. It is also a way to make a little cash while also helping to cut down on environmental waste. You can find copper hidden in a variety of places. Most often though it is in full view, found in things that you never would have imagined. Knowing where to look will help you in your recovery efforts. Below you will find five of the best places to look for scrap copper.
1. In household fittings. This is especially true of older homes. Pipes and other types of plumbing will have copper in them. Be warned however it is illegal to take the copper from a house you do not own. You can safely get them from demolition sites and if someone is remodeling and have thrown them out.
2. Appliances used to have a lot of copper. Not so much now but there is still quite a bit in them. The older the appliance the more copper is in them. Washing machines, old refrigerators, dryers, microwaves all have copper coils and wires. With air conditioners and refrigerators it is dangerous to remove the copper unless you know how to avoid releasing the toxic gasses that are used in them.
3. If you find a house that is being demolished you can get the wiring. Once striped of the insulation it will yield quite a bit of copper. Although most electricians may have beaten you to it. They are in a unique position to get at the copper first. Still a lot of it gets thrown out so check remodeling and demo sites regularly.
4. Finding old copper statues and other household items like decorations can also be a good source for copper reclamation. Things like teakettles, pots, spigots and even beverage dispensers can yield enough copper to make it worth your while. One great place to find things like this is yard sales and thrift stores. You can buy them for a really cheap price most often less than they will be worth at a recycling shop.
5. Cars are also a great place to look for scrape metal of all types. If you take apart an engine you will find a lot of copper has been used in there. The radiator coils and heating cores are also a good source of copper. You can get trace amounts of the stuff from the onboard computers as well.
You see it is all in what you know. Like did you know that not only could you find copper in pc’s but also gold. And that is a great haul seeing as how much it is going per ounce. But that is a topic for another article.… Read More